Saturday, October 23, 2010

Day25: Acebo to Cacabelos (Tues 19th Oct)





I decide on a slightly later start as the Spanish aren´t great on early starts and the Alburgue provide us with brekky and when the temp is 1 or 2C to start you want fuel...namely COFFEE to start the blood flow!!

A 33km day.  The scenery is spectacular as Acebo is high up and the days are clear - its worth the freezing cold and early start. My first stop is Molinaseca which is a total of 9km. The track is on the road to start but soon becomes rocks and boulders yet again and a sharp descent down into the town - one wrong foot and you´ll be cactus! This makes it difficult to admire the view as you can´t admire and clamber over rocks at the same time.... ;-)

Molinaseca is a beautiful village, very picturesque and I find a gorgeous cafe for coffee and warming up and a feet airing (they´re finally feeling pretty good, considering the previous 2 weeks). The walk into Ponferrada is long and drags and I get attacked by a dog as I walk through Campo (the back blocks of Ponferrada) and have to use Woody to defend myself - it snarls and curls its lips back and shows me his teeth but is not quite so brave when I go at him with the big stick....thank god for Woody!!

Ponferrada is in siesta...not great timing, but it is how the coin rolls.....find myself some gloves and a small ice-cream cafe and sit for another feet airing before heading to Cacabelos.  Its a long haul and my feet are starting to get cranky but there isn´t anything in between so you commit to the 12km or sleep in the fields!!!

I arrive at 6.45pm tired but holding up well and the feet have also performed! The Alburgue is a little quirky and looks "make shift" but built around the outside of an old Church - so the church sits in the middle....the little 2bed rooms are not lined and its freeeeeezing and sleep with my fluffy hat on!

No comments:

Post a Comment