Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Day24: Santa Catalina to Acebo (Mon 18th Oct)







It´s soooooo freezing, is about -2C my fingers are almost frozen solid and I'm walking like a Tin Soldier - got my hands tucked up my sleeves and arms crossed over my body (doesn't make for efficient walking) BUT my priority right now is not efficient walking but keeping my almost frozen blood circulating!!!! Hoping  Rabanal has a store with gloves!!! ;-/// brrrrr.

There is a lot of climbing today, it´s the first of the last 2 big mountains to get over - luckily I have the perfect weather - clear blue sky and sun! Despite the fact its so cold early it does eventually warm up a little by the afternoon - maybe 9C! lol  The views are truly spectacular and impossible to capture on film - however, I try!  Am a little nervous as the paths become very rocky....the climb up to Foncebadon is quite easy, my fitness has improved no end and I don´t find it difficult - I rest up for 40mins in Foncebadon then continue the climb to the peak - there is a trick to today, there is THE peak then you go down a little then up to another peak - just to make sure you earn your place at the top of the mountain.  Continuing along before the slight descent down - the landscape is somewhat "Sounds of Music" cows with big bells around their necks clanging, the smell, the exquisite mountains and the varied colours and more mountains in the background - truly a visual feast.

The descent down into Acebo is rather steep and tricky and needs close attention if you want to stay upright on both feet! The paths are nasty and rocks are like boulders - am not so happy about this and my feet are starting to whine. Eventually the town appears and it´s so gorgeous - plenty of Alburgues to choose and I pick the first one - means I can stop walking and it has its own restaurant so I need not go out to look for dinner.

Marc & Marcus and the gorgeous dog are also here and we share a table for dinner and in rocks poor old Simon....limping and groaning...his blisters are infected and he is not in good shape! He eventually hobbles down and joins us for dinner and wine. Woody (my walking stick, tree branch) gave my triceps a killer workout ...am feeling great and mountain conquered in style and relative ease woohoo!! ;-)

1 comment:

  1. hi
    looks like we are in the same place. I,m now slowing down-weds 20th here in Villafranca-O Cebreiro in two days-hope to bump into you-if not have a great Camino.
    Sagalouts from the forum ( Ian)

    ReplyDelete