Sunday, October 17, 2010

Day19: El Burgo Ranero to Arcahueja (Wed 13th Oct)



Shadows....is how each day starts!

Today is from El Burgo Ranero to Arcahueja which is about 31km! (my 2nd worse day of  Camino)

Started great and a fun laughing 13km to Reliegos...then about of nausea came to visit....the closer I got to Mansilla the worse it got! I sat and rested in shade for 45mins and no food...continued on the last long bland stretch of Meseta ...to Arcahueja making it 31km day! Another 9.5hr day! I was blessed with a walking buddy, Rocky, who thankfully stuck by me ALL day....
 
BUT along the long stretch I started heaving and for about an hour all along the last of the Meseta I stopped thinking it was going to happen...I kept walking and got to Villamoros and had to slightly divert off into the town and find a cold shadey spot to lay down (it was siesta and the place was like a ghost town and no movement) lay there for 20mins then walked another 1.5km where a cafe bar had a toilet and just made it to the toot to throw up my insides and my eyeballs! After a 15min rest there I felt slightly better....but after I walked another 2km had to lay on cold concrete for 5mins then finally made it the last 2.5km to the small Alburgue to find it FULL - I was so beyond exhausted that crying wasn't an option, I just said I'd be very happy to put my sleeping bag on the floor - and he still charged 8euro!! A hot shower and relaxed with feet up and more water - sat at dinner with everyone but didn´t eat or drink any vino! Luckily by 10pm when I was beyond exhausted I went into the dorm to find a top bunk "untouched" usually the deal is once you have paid u put your sleeping bag on the bunk as a right of way to that bed. It was empty - so I put my sleeping bag on it got in and hoped for the best - miracles to happen!! The owner had clearly miscounted!
 
Alburgue´s seem to have no conscience and it was a private Alburgue and they have their rules and stick to them!! Despite the fact he knew i´d been ill all afternoon and could clearly see by the look of me - it made no difference! But that is how it is.....
 
There are very few pics today, as by the time I reached Mansilla I was beyond looking at much and just struggling to keep the focus on the path....the pics above are ALL the pics I took ;-)
 
10km to Leon tomorrow and rest the remainder of day!

1 comment:

  1. Just happy to hear you made it. So sorry to hear how sick you were. Will be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete