Friday, October 15, 2010

Day14: Burgos to Hornillos del Camino (Fri 8th Oct)






Good morning Meseta.... ;-)

We being the 6-8 days walk across the Meseta - depending on the injuries on how long it takes!  Walking out of Burgos is just as long as walking in however, a much more picturesque area and is a fun time with the camera (as you can see above)!  Its an exciting and long anticipated as the Meseta has a special kind of madness about her and we´re all keen to know and feel and interpret out own understanding!

The "rat pack" all join up on the edge of Burgos and walk to Villabilla (first stop) together. I find a Farmacia with gel insoles and think its a wonderful idea and buy them and pop them directly into my boots!

We are only walking 20.5km today and glad of the short distance as my feet are again back to PAIN and Brit has the onset of chin splint! It is the walking wounded and everyone is in the same boat in some way shape or form.  We finally roll into Hornillos, bit of a dodgy looking town and sit on the bench near the shop/bar to kick of the boots immediately and pop the trusty havaiana thongs (flip flops) on....cold drink and the ahhhh factor of having to go NO further...here we wave goodbye to Rocky (affectionately named by us Aussies - the Italian) he´s going on further and Alex has already gone way ahead today and may camp on the Meseta overnight - he has a small tent.

The Alburgue is not one of the better one´s (to date) but it is a bed! We rest up outside as it feels better than being inside......a quite town and perfect to plonk ourselves on the steps of the church and drink red wine in the sun! ;-)

Dinner in the only small Bar - we rocked over about 7pm only to find the restaurant part already full - unaware that you have to put your name down and wait your turn for a table...so I put my name down for our table of 4 and we sit, drink and wait. Finally "JACQUI" is called out and we go down to the dining area and my name is repeated again - so I stick my hand up and yell ME! As we sit down a chap at the opposite table asks "are you Jacqui? Jacqueline? Jacqueline Rowe?" slightly freaked out I say "hmmmm yes, and you are?" he is John Devanney, an Irishman who has joined my campaign facebook page and did so back when I first advertised my campaign, he saw my link on one of the Camino Forums - he was so excited to meet me and was expecting me to be several days ahead and not bump into me - we chatted a while and he is very supportive of the campaign. Amazing moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment