Monday, October 18, 2010

Day22: La Virgen to Hospital de Orbigo (Sat 16th Oct)




I´m blogging this on a computer in Foncebadon at the top of the 1st of the last 2 killer mountains left! However, out of the 2 available the only one that works is the one without the camera card reader....so again you will have to wait for the pics - hopefully tonight in Acebo there will be more luck!

SO Saturday.....am looking forward to my first full day going solo....only the 2nd full day in my entire journey so far where I´ve walked totally on my own - funnily, I´m kind of looking forward to it - but I do miss my walking buddies ;-)

Ive been walking for  about 7 days now with my trusty side-kick "Woody" my walking stick/staff - which I picked up off the track during the last drenching and he is about 5´ft and been a treat and glad of him especially when my foot have been so bad, a walking staff takes quite a bit of pressure off the feet - so Woody and I are off to Hospital de Orbigo (no it´s not a hospital) just another strange name over here!!

The first town I arrive at being 10am on Saturday was clearly too early...nothing open so I continue on the next 4km to Mazarife. Slight hiccup as the yellow arrows point out of town on a lonely road then all the signs stop and I begin to wonder if I´ve missed one....so after about 1km I turn back to check...only to find I was right afterall...nothing like adding an extra couple of km´s to your day!!! lol

At Mazarife life is clearly on Saturday time....leisurely and quiet.  I find a cafe bar in an Alburgue open and warm and with internet - so I put my feet up and chill out for about 2hours and enjoy a fabulously freshly made tortilla and much needed coffee!  Planned some options for the next few days, depending on how happy my feet are.

I head out of town and see "Whiskers New York" sitting on a bench in the square - I thought he´d long gone passed me - the Camino is interesting like that - sometimes I go fast then slow and others do the same, therefore bumping and re bumping into people when you least expect.   I´m bracing myself for the next 14km...wants to know why? WHY? NO ROCKS!!! No no no, wrong wrong wrong!! Why after nearly a week of no serious rocks and my feet improved to they plonk another rocky road in??? It just pops up out of nowhere saying HELLOOO pilGRIM and smiles like the grimreaper with its rocky smile!!!

By the time I arrive in HdO my feet are once again screwed. Limping along the town sidewalk full of fabulous Roman history I find a quaint Alburgue which was not in my book and choose to stay there. Means I don´t have to walk a step further and thats happiness!! It was almost 6pm and after getting a bed and showering and a slow limping walk to the supermercado for bandages and food I eat in and bed down early - the only way to let my feet repair.  Despite the fact that they ache and throb all through the night making it a restless night, but that is something I´m getting used to now.

No comments:

Post a Comment